Text by Clarissa Wemple of the pslove company
Menstrual cramps are a very familiar occurrence amongst us ladies. In fact, it has been reported to affect more than 50% of menstruating females, with anti-inflammatory drugs being one of the top choices for pain relief. However, with the potential short-term side effects already ranging from nausea to diarrhoea, its long-term effects are underestimated.
To save you from all that fuss, we’ve put together a list of natural, drug-free alternatives for you to consider when wanting to ease your menstrual cramps.
Various studies have shown that massaging your abdomen with certain essential oils can actually help to reduce menstrual cramps.
Some effective essential oils and their benefits are:
- Lavender – Has an ability to calm the nervous system, improve blood circulation, and offer pain relief for muscle pains caused by sore and tense muscles.
- Clove – Able to increase blood circulation, serve as a stress-reliever, and boost your immune system due to its antiviral properties.
- Rose – Just like clove, rose oil has antiviral properties that can help to boost your immunity. It is also anti-spasmodic, meaning that it can relieve muscular spasms such as cramps.
- Cinnamon – Known to reduce inflammation in the body.
One simple massage that you can do would be to:
- Place your hands on your abdomen with your palms facing down.
- Move your hands in small circles while going in a clockwise direction.
- Slowly increase the size of the circling until you start to cover the entire abdominal region. Continue for a few minutes for greater relief.