In conjunction with the upcoming World Mental Health Day this 10th of October, we decided to enlighten our readers about the matter.
Mental health is a concerning health issue and we Malaysians aren’t excluded from this growing list. It is said by 2020, mental health will be the second biggest health problem in Malaysia after heart diseases. I bet there are so many questions that come to mind.
- How come?
- What about positive thinking?
- Mind over matter? Just calm down!
- Do I have mental health illness? < Well you may not be certain for sure till you actually get help!
The lines can be blurry at times, as there are many debates in the medical field about what is considered mental illness and what isn’t.
It’s easier to say this or that when you’re not going through it, sometimes we don’t really know what to say but that aside the most important thing we can do to help, is lend a listening ear and hopefully they’ll open up bit by bit.
Additionally help them by suggesting people or places they can seek help!
Before we move any further, here’s a list of mental health illness on the rise, the most common one being bipolar whereby one’s mood is severely affected, psychotic disorders(e.g. schizophrenia), anxiety disorders, and personality disorders to name a few.
Knowing the types of mental illnesses is one thing, what can you do though as a friend or family member to those who suffer from mental illness?
EDUCATE YOURSELF! That’s the first and essential rule! Learn the nature, symptoms and treatments for it. Yes being a lending ear can and does help to a certain extent.
Here are a few channels you can reach out to:
- Malaysian Mental Health Association
- SOLS 24/7 Malaysia – SOLS Health is a behavioral health centre .
- MENTARI – A mental health network created by the (MOH) Ministry of Health Malaysia to improve outreach.
- Befrienders – Befrienders in Malaysia consist of 8 centres, they have a 24/7 hotline which is uber accessible as well as a face to face meet.
- International Psychology Center – The international psychology center comprises of a team of counselors who are qualified in handling various mental health illnesses. From adult psychology to child psychology, educational psychology, and many more.
- The Mind Faculty – A premium mental health clinic with over 25 practitioners that incorporate different therapies based on an individual.
With further research, we’ve come to the conclusion that the following steps will help ensure a healthy mind.
- Mental stimulation – Think brainy activities, this will help connections between an individual’s nerve cells. We’re talking about puzzles, art and crafts etc
- Diet – The saying you are what you eat, without a doubt a good nutrition helps both your mind and body. Harvard studies show that certain foods even help with one’s cognitive.
- Emotions – Check in with yourself, one of the keys to good mental health would be sufficient sleep! They all play a part and do have the power of messing up your emotions.
- Keep Active – Literally just keep moving, squeeze in a walk into your busy schedule if gym seems like a chore at the end of the day.
- Take a Break – And no we were not heading in the direction of kit kat, but you most certainly need time for yourself from a hectic schedule. A little trip perhaps?
We leave you with this page to check out on Instagram Rad Culture page
It is a Malaysian caused based organization that’ll highlight social issues and promoting representation. What does RAD stand for ? > Represent and Diversify. Now this is known to the younger generation, something they tend to use a lot to describe amazing! A recent initiative by RAD was the “Alphabets of Mental Illness” whereby the public is educated on mental illness one alphabet at a time. Nifty indeed!