At Marie Claire, we continue to be inspired by dynamic and capable women who are masters in their respective fields. Today, we are interviewing Vania Lacascade – The Body Shop International’s Deputy General Manager. Vania holds a PhD in Pharmacy and was majorly involved in the development of the new Drops of Light skincare range. She was also instrumental in creating the Oils of Life skincare range, the Spa of the World body care range and even revamping the Drops of Youth formula.
1. What is your main inspiration behind the Drops of Light range?
At The Body Shop, we believe in embracing and enhancing the natural healthy beauty of individuals. Skin translucency, a clear complexion, tightened pores and supple skin all translate to brighter and healthier looking skin. We wanted to develop a unique brightening range to help people achieve this, The Body Shop way, with powerful and all natural ingredients. All facets of the formula are 100% vegetarian, cruelty and paraben-free, contain sun protection and are suitable for sensitive skin. We have chosen red algae extract as the main ingredient as in-vitro studies have shown that it reduces and prevents hyper-pigmentation by inhibiting key stages of the pigmentation process.
2. How does red algae brighten the skin and how is it extracted?
Our red algae extract is hand-harvested from the Atlantic shores of the Bretagne region, Northern Brittany in France by our local harvesters. It contains high concentrations of Vitamin C and helps to brighten the skin through 3 key actions:
1. Limits the process of melanin production by inhibiting the activity of tyrosinase, a key enzyme involved in melanin production.
2. Limits the transport and accumulation of melanosomes to prevent dark spots from appearing on the surface of the skin.
3. Limits pigmentation induced by UV exposure.
3. What is your personal skincare regimen and do you have any beauty secrets?
AM: Right after a shower, I splash the Drops of Youth essence lotion onto my face for a nice moisture boost. I then use the Drops of Light serum, soothing cream and sunscreen with a protection factor of 50. This gives me a perfect base to apply my foundation. I use The Body Shop’s Fresh Nude Foundation in Yucatan Honey, sometimes with a bit of Honey Bronze face gel for a holiday glow. The objective is to keep the skin looking healthy and skincare is the most powerful base for any makeup.
PM: Removing my makeup before bedtime is non-negotiable. I like to use the Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter to remove waterproof makeup. To cleanse, I use the Drops of Light Pure Clarifying Foam Wash and apply tea tree oil only on areas where I need it. When I’m having a bad skin day, I apply a generous layer of the Drops of Youth Bouncy Sleeping Mask before I go to bed and it makes my skin feel fresh and bouncy the next morning.
Beauty Secret: My top beauty secret would be to make the most of your skin’s golden hours (between 11pm and 2pm) – the time when your skin regenerates itself. Make the most of it by applying a leave-on mask that will plump up your skin overnight.
4. What are some of your favorite ingredients in skincare?
- Extremophiles like edelweiss, criste marine and sea holly
- Natural potent plants like red algae and tea tree
- Cold pressed seed oils from black cumin, camellia and rosehip
5. Do you have any beauty tips or advice for us?
Toxins out: At night, clear your skin of any impurities or toxins that have accumulated throughout the day before applying skincare.
Weekend body treat: Massage your body with oil to condition your skin before a shower. Your skin will feel nourished and look radiant.
Stay covered: Sun protection is one of my biggest priorities in skincare.