Before you head off for another beach holiday in search of yourself, put your skin health first. A few hours under the glowing rays of the sun can damage your skin without you even knowing it, so arm yourself with these after-sun skincare tips for healthy and protected skin.
In order to protect your skin well, you’ll need an arsenal of quality suncare products. Not only should these work for you they should also feel comfortable and absorb well into skin. Don’t forget to include a masque at the end of your after-sun skincare regime. A rejuvenating and gentle face masque like Glam Glow exfoliating mask soothes skin and relieves minor burns. Follow our tips for a worry-free soak in the sun and healthy skin all year long:
- Drink a lot of water: Eight glasses a day helps get rid of toxins from your body and skin. Do this consistently every day. It’s easy to get caught in the moment and miss drinking the required amount of water. Increasing your water intake will definitely improve your skin’s texture and you’ll be seeing a definite glow and healthy radiance very soon!
- Take a cold shower: It is one way to refresh your skin after a thrilling day of fun in the sun. This helps to cool off the heat from your body. And try to stay a bit longer too. While you’re at it, lather up your face with a deep cleansing mud gel which helps to wash away impurities to clear your skin’s surface.
- Soothe your skin: If you’re suffering from a sunburn, calm it down and heal it quickly with aloe vera gel. Look for those with 100 percent aloe vera concentration and no additives. Choose one in a smaller tube so you can carry it with you in your handbag and reapply whenever needed.
- Exfoliate your face: If you are suffering from a sunburn please skip this step. However, if you’re not suffering the after-effects of too much sun, please don’t miss this step! Your skin in 30 years to come will thank you for this! Exfoliation is a great way to rejuvenate and re-energise skin after hours of exposure to direct sunlight. Look for an exfoliant with gentle buffing beads that will exfoliate thoroughly without stripping away skin’s natural oils. Alternatively, opt for a product with salicylic acid that will gently loosen dead cells and brighten skin.
- Moisturise your body: If you think this step will take up too much of your time, well, think again. It’s worth setting aside some time to ensure your skin feels soft and supple. This step is even more important if you’re suffering from sunburn. That’s because your skin will start to peel in a few days, so you’ll need to keep moisturising your skin in order to hasten the peeling process. If you don’t like the slippery residue that some lotions leave behind, opt for a dry oil or moisturising gel that will absorb quickly into your skin.
Still looking for ways to shine on the beach? You’ll find this Beach Beauty Essential and this MC Beauty Awards: Quick essentials for your next beach getaway useful.