Given any weekend you will spot these men in malls. Some look awkward and some brandish this accessory with ease. MC weighs in on men who carry their lady’s bags. Chivalrous or Emasculating?
There’s a picture floating around the internet of Zoe Saldana with her new husband and he has her Chanel handbag slung round his neck while she nuzzles him. Zoe’s actions, although not uncommon especially in Asia, echoes that of many women who casually hand their other halves their bags and the men who carry them happily in public. Many men would attest that they would rather die than carry their wife or girlfriend’s handbag but there are those who don’t really mind and claim that it is testament to their confidence in their masculinity.
While confident couples will attest that a man who helps his woman carry her handbag while she is otherwise occupied is after all simply being a gentleman, there are those of a more traditional nature that would argue that this simple action is emasculating and appearances of machismo, respect and gender roles were being compromised.
We here, at MC think that just as your bag shouldn’t weigh your shoulders down, it is all about balance. So here are a few situations where letting your other half carry your handbag is okay and should be testament to his character.
Let him take the weight off your shoulders if:
- You need to make a pit stop at the Ladies and don’t want the risk of a cubicle that doesn’t have bag hooks.
- You are walking in an area of high Snatch Theft probability and would rather your man carry your bag for safety reasons.
- You arms are preoccupied carrying far more important cargo such as your baby.
Don’t subject your man to toting your purse if:
- You’re carrying a teeny tiny Hello Kitty bling bag.
- You want to show off your latest accessory but don’t want to carry it yourself because it doesn’t match your shoes.
- You simply want other women to know how much control you have over your other half.
By: Shakila Rajendra
All images are sourced from Google.